I have an original set of Baldur’s Gate & Tales of The Sword Coast CDs from a long time ago!
The Enhanced Edition has some changes to NPC companions, so I wanted to get the original edition running again. So, below are the steps I took to get it working on Windows 10, without using an addons or mods.
Here are the options I took:
1) Custom Install
2) Cache size set to 240MB
3) CPU above 200MHz
4) Selected all components
5) Got an error message that there wasn’t enough space to install (I ha 700GB free!) but clicked Continue
6) Installed ToTSC again choosing Custom and all the components
7) Selected No for installing DirectX 6.1
Then, I patched the game by applying the BGTalesUK5512 patch. You may need to choose other patches depending on your locale.
Windows 10 settings
Right clicking on the application, I choose Run As Administrator but I kept receiving a Windows error. It stated:
BGMain2.exe - Application Error
The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000022). Click OK to close the application.
In order to make Baldur’s Gate run, I then:
1) Opened Control Panel
2) Clicked on Programs and Features.
3) In the upper left corner, I clicked “Turn Windows Features On or Off”
4) Under Legacy Components, I expanded it and checked the Direct Play item
5) Then I clicked OK.
After this, Baldur’s Gate ran absolutely fine.
In the future, I may play around with trying to get a widescreen / higher screen resolution or no-CD mod working. But for now I’m content to head back into the game and experience it in it’s original form.